I’m from Minnesota, so there are no casseroles here, only Hotdish! This pizza hotdish is one that is universally loved by my family. With all the components of a pizza in a hot, bubbly, cheesy hotdish you can’t really go wrong. Layers of cheese filled ravioli, Italian sausage, pepperoni, mozzarella, Parmesan and spaghetti sauce come together to warm your soul when it’s -10 outside and you just want to feel comfort. January is the deepest darkest days of winter. Soup and hotdish are mainstays to help you stay warm and make it through the many hours of darkness. There is just something about a good hotdish that can cheer a person up a little bit. The ravioli take literally 3 minutes to boil. I love buying frozen ravioli, they are so good and easy to make and use.
This hotdish can be changed up anyway you like your pizza: onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. If you make it with mushrooms, let me know, I’ll send Scott over to your house for supper. He LOVES mushrooms and I just don’t. I’m trying, I really am. But it’s so hard. If you have a really great mushroom recipe that you think will convert me, send it my way! I’ll try anything. I’m going to make beef stroganoff with mushrooms (which I usually don’t) to try it out again. I’ll post the recipe and the results of my mushroom test.
Serve this up with some garlic bread or a cheesy bread stick and my favorite–Cesar salad, and you have a meal!
- 1 bag frozen cheese filled ravioli cooked according to package directions
- 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- ½ lb. Italian sausage cooked
- ½ pouch of pepperoni
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- To assemble the hotdish layer in an 8 x 11.5 in pan*:
- add ½ of the ravioli to the bottom
- then spread ½ of the jar of spaghetti sauce over the ravioli
- add ½ of the ½ lb. Italian sausage
- add ½ of the ½ bag of pepperoni
- add 2 cups of the mozzarella cheese
- finally add ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese
- Repeat the layers one more time
- Cover the hotdish with foil** and bake at 350 for 30 min
- Remove the foil and bake another 10 min until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
- *you can certaily use a 9 x 13 pan or two 8 x 8 and freeze one (before baking).
- **spray the foil with cooking spray to prevent the cheese from sticking to the foil