Twice baked potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes. When I found this recipe I knew I had to make them to go with the Smoked BBQ Baby Back Ribs.
When I was looking for a recipe for the ribs I came across this recipe and thought I would give it a try Smoked Twice Baked Potatoes from http://Smokingmeat.com. Making these potatoes in the smoker takes the flavor to the next level. It takes some time to cook the potatoes in the smoker, and to be honest I have no patience. I ended up taking them out after 3 hours and they weren’t quite done so I put them in the microwave to finish cooking them.
They were delicious! After they cooked in the smoker for three hours I mixed up the insides with cream cheese, heavy cream, bacon, 1/2 stick of butter and some rub seasoning. I stuffed the filling back in the potatoes and topped with cheddar cheese and more bacon.
They went back in the smoker for another 30-45 minutes until the cheese was all melty and gooey and topped them with some fresh chives. I honestly could have just had these for supper. But they paired perfectly with the smoked baby back ribs. I saved the leftovers for lunch the next day and they were just as good then.
- 6 baking potatoes
- 1½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- ½ stick butter
- 1 T your favorite rub seasoning
- 6 -8 slices bacon
- ½ c heavy cream
- 2 -3 T diced chives
- Wash potatoes
- Poke holes in the potatoes and rub with oil
- Put in smoker at 240 for 3 hours
- Cut potatoes in half and scoop out the insides into a bowl
- Mix cream cheese, bacon, rub, butter, heavy cream and 1 c. of cheddar cheese with potatoes
- Stuff back into the potato skins
- Top with remaining cheese and bacon
- Put back into the smoker for 30 min until the cheese is melted
- Remove from smoker and top with chives.