Beef Stroganoff in the Slow Cooker
This recipe for beef stroganoff was given to me by a good friend and co-worker who loves food just as much as I do. Her recipe didn’t use the slow cooker and she used sirloin steak but the rest is a flagrant copy of her recipe…sorry Melissa 🙂 I know you still love me.
I have made this twice in the last month and Scott has lapped it up, literally, both times. He said I should really make it once a month but I don’t usually make ANYTHING that often not even for ScottyBear.
The first time I made it with regular medium Creamette egg noodles and they just didn’t seem to hold the sauce as well as I like it to, so this time I made it I bought some Amish homemade egg noodles. If you like the Creamette’s go for it. You do You. This would also be good over rice, mashed potatoes, on a flip flop. The sauce is divine!
I browned the beef stew meat in a cast iron pan and transferred it to a slow cooker. Then I sauteed the shallots, garlic clove and mushrooms in the skillet until they were a little softened and deglazed the pan with the cooking sherry. I let the sherry reduce by half and then added all that to the slow cooker along with the beef broth, a dash of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and some beef bouillon. Cooked on high for 4 hours.
After the meat was cooked through I combined the heavy cream, sour cream and paprika in a bowl and brought it to room temperature. I added it to the slow cooker along with the cornstarch slurry. Stirred it all up and cooked it on high for 30 more minutes until it was thick.
While that was cooking I boiled up the noodles and it was ready to serve.
- 2 lb.cubed beef stew meat
- 2 shallots sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lb. baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 c. cooking sherry
- 2 c. beef broth
- ½ T. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ T Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp. beef bouillon
- 1 c. plus 3 T heavy cream
- ½ c. sour cream
- ½ T smoked paprika
- 3T cornstarch
- 1 lb egg noodles cooked
- In a cast iron pan brown the beef in batches and remove to the slow cooker
- Add the sliced shallots, mushrooms and garlic to the pan and sautee until softened about 3 min.
- Add the cooking sherry to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and deglaze the pan until the liquid has reduced by half, transfer to slow cooker.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and beef bouillon to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6 hrs on high 4 hrs.
- Combine heavy cream, sour cream, and paprika in a bowl. Once the meat is done add the mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- You may want to temper the dairy so it doesn't curdle or bring it to room temperature before adding to the meat.
- Make the slurry of 3T heavy cream and 3T cornstarch and add to the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook an additional 30 minutes on high until thickened.
- While the sauce is thickening cook the egg noodles according to package directions.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.