Who has a freezer full of venison sausages?? Well we sure do and I am always looking for different ways to make them. I saw the Pioneer Woman make these on one of her Christmas episodes and thought I would give them a try. I had some whiskey jalapeno cranberry sauce that I made earlier and this was a good way to use up what was left.
These sausages were fried on the outside before they were cooked in the sauce. This gives a nice crunchy texture to the sausages. The sauce was mixed in a separate bowl and then added to the pan to heat through. If you don’t eat them right away they can be kept warm in a crock pot or chafing dish.
The original recipe from Ree Drummond can be found on Food Network’s website here and is a fun new way to turn sausages into a Christmas appetizer.
- 1 14 oz can cranberry sauce
- ½ c. BBQ Sauce
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 2 T Dijon Mustard
- 2 T honey
- 1 tsp salt
- zest of one orange
- 2 lb. smoked sausage
- Slice sausages in diagonal slices
- Fry in a medium frying pan until the outsides on both sides of the sausages are crispy
- In a separate bowl combine the cranberry sauce, bbq sauce, soy sauce, mustarg, honey, salt and zest.
- Add the sauce to the frying pan and cook until sauce is reduced and sticky, about 7 minutes on medium heat.
- Either eat right away or remove to a crock pot or chafing dish to keep warm.