To say that Scott likes to fish is quite the understatement! He could fish all day every day, and when he isn’t actually fishing he is watching fishing on tv or YouTube. When we go ice fishing he is watching fishing while fishing…Well you get the point. So we usually have fish to eat up around here.
This fish crust is quick and easy. I like the crust from the Saltine crackers, it’s crispy and not greasy. This recipe makes about 6-8 good size fillets, and any kind of fish will do. You can certainly customize the seasonings to your liking. I’ve made fish batter, steamed fish, broiled fish, I feel like Forrest Gump with his shrimp sometimes trying to come up with new ways to cook fish. Our friends and family also enjoy getting fish without any of the work. There is no way we can eat that much fish!
Cracker Fish Crust Recipe
Cracker Fish Crust
- 1 food processor
- 1 casserole dish
- 1 pan
- 1 paper towel lined cookie sheet
- 1 sleeve Saltine crackers
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 6-8 good size fish fillets
- 8 T butter
- 8 T oil
- Crush the sleeve of saltine crackers in a food processor
- Add the Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and paprika to the processor and blend until combined.
- Put on a plate or in a casserole dish.
- Place fish 2-3 at a time in the fish crust and press coating on to fish. Let sit for a couple minutes.
- Heat 3 T butter and 3 T oil in a cast iron skillet
- Place fish in pan and cook on both sides until browned and crispy. About 3 min per side.
- Add butter and oil as needed to finish cooking the rest of the fish.
- Keep the cooked fish warm on a paper towel lined cookie sheet in a very low oven about 200 degrees
Tips for making Cracker Fish Crust
While I won’t be delving into the complete recipe today, I do want to touch on the star ingredients that make Cracker Fish Crust the showstopper it is.
Firstly, there’s the choice of fish. Whether you opt for something lean like cod or something more luxurious like salmon, the fish sets the tone for the dish. It provides the canvas on which the cracker crust will shine.
Then comes the cracker crust itself—a glorious combination of crushed crackers, herbs, and spices. It’s this crust that gives the dish its signature crunch and depth of flavor. It transforms the humble fish fillet into a feast fit for royalty!
Cooking Tips for Perfect Cracker Fish Crust
Now, let’s move on to some cooking tips that can help you master the art of Cracker Fish Crust:
- Choosing the Right Fish: Opt for fish fillets that are evenly thick. This ensures even cooking and a well-balanced crust-to-fish ratio.
- Crushing the Crackers: Aim for a mixture of crumb sizes to create a more interesting texture. Just remember not to overdo it—you want crumbs, not dust!
- Applying the Crust: Be generous but careful when applying the cracker mixture. Too much and it might not stick properly, too little and you’ll miss out on that glorious crunch.
FAQs: Your Cracker Fish Crust Queries Answered
Here are some frequently asked questions I’ve received about Cracker Fish Crust:
Can I use any type of cracker? Yes, you can experiment with different types of crackers, but remember that the flavor should complement the fish without overpowering it.
What side dishes go well with Cracker Fish Crust? The beauty of this dish is its versatility. It pairs beautifully with everything from fresh salads to creamy mashed potatoes.
Serving Suggestions for a Memorable Meal
Finally, we come to my favorite part—serving suggestions. Presentation is key to elevating any meal, and Cracker Fish Crust is no exception. Serve it on a bed of vibrant vegetables or beside a heap of golden roasted potatoes for a truly mouthwatering sight.
In the end, whether you’re a seasoned cook or a kitchen novice, the Cracker Fish Crust is a dish that’s sure to impress. It’s a delicious reminder of how something as simple as a fish fillet can be transformed into a culinary masterpiece with a bit of creativity and passion.
So, go ahead, roll up your sleeves, and embark on your own Cracker Fish Crust adventure. I promise you, it’s a journey worth taking. And remember, the joy of cooking is not just in the eating—it’s in the creating. So, have fun with it!
Now, what are you waiting for? Let’s get cracking on that Cracker Fish Crust!