Everyone in Minnesota has a recipe for tater tot hot dish with cream of mushroom soup. This recipe is a Mexican twist on a Minnesota classic.
The taco seasoned beef with onions and peppers are the base of this dish. Top with a jar of queso dip, I used Tostitos queso that you buy in the chip isle. Finally add a layer of tater tots and cheese and that’s it! Supper is ready. I like to season the tater tots in my tater tot hot dish recipes with seasoned salt because they can be a little bland otherwise. I suppose you could just buy the seasoned tater tots but they still don’t seem to have much of a flavor for my family’s liking.
This recipe is a great weeknight meal because it goes together so quickly there aren’t many ingredients or assembly. It’s even easier than regular tater tot hot dish. But if you would like a video of how the dish comes together the original recipe can be found here: Mexican Tater Tot Casserole.
Simply Stacie has a number of variations on tater tot casseroles, but you know the real name for them is “hotdish”. I am hoping to get around to trying some of the other ones and hopefully share them all with you. The good Lord knows my family doesn’t appreciate it! But I’ll keep feeding them or else they start to whine or worse yet cook for themselves! I don’t know how they can dirty so many dishes just making frozen pizza.
Let me know if you give this a try and how your family liked it.
MEXICAN TATER TOT HOTDISH
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 orange pepper chopped
- 1 pk taco seasoning
- ¾ of a package of tater tots
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add onions, peppers and ground beef and cook until beef is no longer pink and onions and peppers are softened. About 7-8 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning.
- Pre heat over to 400 degrees. Grease and 8 X 11½ in. casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread the beef mixture evenly on the bottom of the casserole dish. Spread the queso dip over the beef mixture. Cover with tater tots.
- Bake 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake another 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.