In honor of the Minnesota State Fair, I thought I would do some fair food posts starting with this Minnesota sundae with grilled pineapple. Hopefully, there will be more! Time gets away from me so at least there is this one lol. Maybe I will get ambitious and get some more done. Minnesota sundae’s are vanilla ice cream topped with honey and sunflower seeds. All Minnesota grown and raised products. I had some fresh pineapple so I thought I would give it a little twist by grilling a slice to use as a base for the sundae.
The Minnesota State Fair is a feast of food for every taste. There is always something new to try along with featured favorites. Minnesota sundae or “Honey Sundaes” as they are also called are sold by the Minnesota Honey Producers Association on the north side of the Agriculture Horticulture Building at the Bee & Honey exhibit. Since there is no State Fair this year I decided to make my own at home.
To make the sundae’s even more honey-infused I used my Clover Honey Vanilla Ice Cream recipe and served it on top of the grilled pineapple. Served with warmed clover honey on top and salted sunflower seeds this sundae hits all the marks, salty, creamy, crunchy, and sweet. Grilling the pineapple adds another layer of sweetness and melts the ice cream with the warmed honey for a delicious syrup at the end!
Try making these and bring a little Minnesota State Fair home this year. Hopefully, we can all meet again next year at the “Great Minnesota Get Together”
Minnesota Sundae with Grilled Pineapple Recipe
Minnesota Sundae with Grilled Pineapple
- 1 bowl
- 3 Scoop Clover vanilla honey ice cream
- 1 Slice fresh pineapple grilled on both sides
- 4 tbsp warmed honey
- 1 tbsp roasted salted sunflower seeds
- Grill the pineapple on both sides and set on a plate or in a bowl
- Top with 3 scoops ice cream
- Serve warmed honey over the ice cream
- Top with sunflower seeds
Making a Minnesota Sundae with Grilled Pineapple may seem straightforward, but there are a few tips that can help you take this dessert to the next level.
Grilling the Pineapple: When grilling the pineapple, make sure to get those beautiful grill marks. Not only do they look great, but they also add a wonderful smoky flavor to the pineapple.
Choosing the Ice Cream: While vanilla ice cream is a classic choice for sundaes, don’t be afraid to experiment with other flavors. Coconut or rum raisin ice cream can add an interesting twist to your Minnesota Sundae with Grilled Pineapple.
Adding the Toppings: When it comes to toppings, the sky’s the limit. You can stick to the traditional caramel sauce and nuts, or you can get creative with chocolate chips, shredded coconut, or even a sprinkle of sea salt.
FAQs about Minnesota Sundae with Grilled Pineapple
Can I use canned pineapple instead of fresh?
While fresh pineapple is always the best choice for grilling, canned pineapple can work in a pinch. Just make sure to pat it dry before grilling to avoid excess moisture.
Can I make this dessert ahead of time?
The components of the Minnesota Sundae with Grilled Pineapple can be prepared ahead of time, but it’s best to assemble the sundae just before serving to prevent the ice cream from melting.
- The Minnesota Sundae with Grilled Pineapple is a versatile dessert that can be served in a variety of settings. Here are a few suggestions:
- Backyard Barbecue: This sundae is the perfect ending to a summer barbecue. The smoky flavor of the grilled pineapple complements the savory dishes perfectly.
- Dinner Party: Impress your guests by serving this unique dessert at your next dinner party. It’s a sweet treat that’s sure to spark conversation.
- Cozy Night In: Treat yourself to a Minnesota Sundae with Grilled Pineapple during a cozy night in. It’s the perfect indulgence for a movie night or a reading marathon.
The Minnesota Sundae with Grilled Pineapple is more than just a dessert; it’s an experience. It’s a dish that invites you to explore new flavors and textures, and to appreciate the simple joy of a well-made sundae. So go ahead, give it a try, and let the Minnesota Sundae with Grilled Pineapple take you on a culinary adventure you won’t forget.