Strawberry Filled Lemon Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
There are a lot of steps to make these cupcakes but they are well worth the effort. I made these a long time ago and I have not gotten around to making them again until this summer.
I just used a regular lemon cake mix and made them according to package directions. Once the cupcakes had a chance to cool I cut a 1 in. diameter hole in the center of the cupcake, reserving the tops to put back on once they were filled. That part is pretty simple.
While the cupcakes are baking, make the filling for the cupcakes combining a pint of diced strawberries with a Tablespoon of sugar and a 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla. I mashed it all up with a potato masher and stored the filling in the fridge until it was time to fill the cupcakes.
To make the frosting will require a strawberry reduction to add to the cream cheese frosting mixture. Add on cup of diced strawberries to a sauce pan on medium heat. Add one Tablespoon of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of water. Reduce mixture until it is down to 1/4 cup. Put in the refrigerator to cool. Add the mix to 1 stick of softened butter, one 8 oz. package softened cream cheese and 2 cups of powdered sugar. Cool frosting in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight before frosting the cupcakes. Otherwise it will be too loose.
These cupcakes have a few steps to assemble but they are well worth the effort. Strawberry and lemon are two flavors that go together so well and really give off the feeling of summer. Fresh in season strawberries are one of my favorite summer treats, I just can’t get enough strawberries when they are around.
Please give these cupcakes a try and let me know how you liked them. Your summer never tasted so good!
- For the filling:
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 T. sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- For the frosting:
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 T. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp water
- 1 stick butter room temperature
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese room temperature
- 2 c. powdered sugar sifted
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 c. water
- ⅓ c. vegetable oil
- To Make the cupcake Filling:
- Mash together the 1 c. diced strawberries, sugar and vanilla with a potato masher.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To Make the frosting:
- Let cream cheese and butter come to room temperature
- Slice strawberries and add to a small saucepan with 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar and 1 tsp water.
- Let mixture simmer on medium heat until reduced to ¼ cup. Keep stirring so mixture doesn't burn or stick to the pan.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Sift 2 cups of powdered sugar so frosting is smooth.
- Add butter to a stand mixer and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add strawberry reduction and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar in three parts beating for 2 minutes on medium speed after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl before adding more sugar.
- Once all the sugar has been added scrape down the bowl and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Put frosting in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight before frosting the cupcakes.
- To Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line a cupcake pan with liners
- Blend cake mix, water, oil, and eggs in a large bowl on low speed until just combined.
- Beat at medium speed for two minutes.
- Pour batter into cupcake pan
- Bake 12-15 min, until a toothpick comes out clean, cool
- Cut a 1 inch diameter hole in the top of the cupcake (just about half way through). Reserve tops.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of strawberry filling to each cupcake and put the top back on.
- Frost with strawberry cream cheese frosting.
- Store in the refrigerator.