I know meatloaf is one of those recipes where everyone has their own personal favorite. Nothing compares to your family’s meatloaf recipe. But, I just had to share this meatloaf recipe because it really is my favorite! I don’t like a lot of fancy stuff in my meatloaf and this one is pretty basic, but using the Ritz crackers instead of breadcrumbs and adding shredded cheddar cheese really gives this basic meatloaf a little extra flavor without a lot of fancy ingredients. You could certainly add your favorite veggies to this recipe as well such as, green peppers, mushrooms, etc. But I’m of the mindset that meatloaf is just that–meat loaf.
The recipe calls for mixing the meat, crackers, cheese & soup mix in one bowl and the eggs, ketchup and steak sauce in a separate bowl. Dumping it all in one bowl and mixing it together works just fine too.
MY FAVORITE MEATLOAF
- 2 lb hamburger
- ¾ c crushed Ritz crackers
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pk dry onion soup mix
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/3 c ketchup
- 2 T steak sauce
- 1/2 c. ketchup
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine beef, crackers, cheese and soup mix in a bowl
- Whisk eggs, ketchup, and steak sauce in a separate bowl until smooth
- Mix egg mixture into meat mixture until well combined
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45-60 minutes
- During the last 10 minutes of baking mix the ½ c ketchup and ½ c. brown sugar together
- Drain grease from meatloaf and top with sauce
- Bake an additional 10 minutes.
This recipe is on Allrecipes and it has very high ratings and reviews on their site. You can find the original recipe here: Rempel Family Meatloaf. I follow the recipe to a T. In addition I added a topping of 1/2 c brown sugar and 1/2 c ketchup mixed together. I add it at the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Just before putting the sauce on top, I drain the liquid that has accumulated in the pan. If you wait until it is done cooking to drain the liquid the sauce will all run off the top of the loaf. That can be a total bummer because it really adds a nice little sweet sour tang to the meatloaf.
If you are feeling adventurous and want to try a little different variation from your usual meatloaf recipe, I hope you give this one a try. It may become your next family favorite meatloaf recipe.