“Blow Your Mind” Baked Wings from Daphne Oz and The Chew.
I have to confess. I LOVE The Chew. I tape it every day and sometimes binge watch an entire week on a Saturday morning.
Back to the wings….
It was coming up on Super Bowl Sunday and I needed a good wing recipe, because you can’t watch the Super Bowl without wings right? Right! So I did the usual Pinterest search, but I happened to also be watching my recorded episodes of The Chew while I was doing that and came upon these wings. They looked amazing and I just knew these were the wings for Sunday.
I made some modifications to the original recipe. I subbed olive oil for the coconut oil, and powdered ginger for the fresh. I also only used one lime.
This recipe made 2 lbs. of wings. We were supposed to have a Super Bowl party that day, but I live in Minnesota so Mother Nature had other plans and there was a blizzard warning most of the day so our guests all decided to stay home. I was a little nervous that I would have all this food for just Scott, Brett, Alexa and myself, but the wings were all gone by the end of the game. They were a hit! The only thing I may do different next time is fry the wings and then coat them in the sauce. But I really don’t like to fry stuff in the house during winter and have the house smell like grease for two days…P-U! Here is the link to the original recipe: http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/blow-your-mind-baked-chicken-wings-daphne-oz. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did! Even thought the game was kind of a snooze fest ZZZzzzzzzz.
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 T water
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- 3 scallions
- ¼ c soy sauce
- ½ c honey
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 T sesame oil
- 2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 lbs. chicken wing pieces
- salt & pepper
- In a small bowl make a slurry by stirring together the cornstarch and water.
- Heat oil in a saute pan. Toss in garlic and scallions, reserving a few for garnish. Cook 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Stir in soy sauce, honey, lime juice, sesame oil, ginger, and chili flakes. Whisk in corn starch slurry and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 3-4 minutes until sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place in a rimmed baking dish (cookie sheet) and bake for 20 min.
- Reserve about ⅓ of the sauce in a separate container for the end.
- Remove baking dish from the oven and roll wings in the bowl with ⅔ of the sauce in. Place back on the baking dish and return to the oven for 20 min.
- Remove from the oven and turn all the wings over. Bake an additional 10-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and baste with remaining sauce. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Tip: Sauce can be made a few hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator.