Broccoli Cheese Soup is a big deal for me and my daughter. We love the richness of the half and half and the cheddar cheese in this soup. Of course Panera makes a pretty amazing version but I have to say that this version is even better. Inspired by Averie Cooks Broccoli Cheese Soup, this version has a little more flavor and a little more attitude than the usual recipe I use. When it’s 16 degrees outside soup is a great way to warm up your soul, even if you don’t have to leave the house. The addition of the paprika, mustard powder and cayenne really brings out the flavors of the other ingredients, but you would never know they are there. These bread bowls are super easy to make too. Easy Bread Bowls from Frozen Bread Dough.
Even if you don’t live where it gets below freezing I hope you give this recipe a try. It is well worth it!
BEST BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
- 5 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 med onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp chicken base or bouillon
- 2 cup milk is fine
- 2 cup broccoli florets
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 3/4 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp mustard powder
- pinch of cayenne
- 2 cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- In a stock pot or dutch oven on medium-low heat, saute onion and garlic in 1 T butter until soft and translucent
- Add 4 T butter and 4 T flour and cook until lightly browned but not dark
- Whisk in 2 c. chicken broth and cook until thickened about 3-4 min.
- Add 2 more c. chicken broth and cook until thickened about 5 min.
- Add 2 c. ½ & ½ and cook until thickened about 5 min.
- Add broccoli and carrots and simmer 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender
- Whisk in salt, pepper, paprika, dry mustard and cayenne
- Simmer another 15 -20 min until reduced and thickened
- Turn off heat and add the grated cheese, stir until melted
- Save some remaining cheese for garnish