It is the end of summer here in Minnesota and time to start thinking about fall and harvest. This peach blackberry crisp combines the best of both seasons in my eyes. Ripe sweet peaches and juicy blackberries combined with a crisp topping covers all the bases. I use this topping for apple crisp also. It was close to 90 degrees today, but the tides are turning this week and fall will be here by week’s end.
There is a touch of almond extract in the fruit mixture and a bit of cinnamon in the topping to give it a little extra something that takes this recipe over the top. Served hot with ice cream melting over it mixing with the juices from the fruit is nothing short of heaven. This fruit combination works so well together. Fresh summer fruit, in season, are great ingredients to work with. You can use them in every thing from sweet to savory dishes as well as drinks. Really you could use almost any fruit you like in this dish. This just happens to be two of my favorites.
Peach Blackberry Crisp Recipe
Peach Blackberry Crisp
- 1 oven
- 1 bowl
- 1 separate bowl
- 1 baking sheet
- 2 cup ripe peaches about 4 peeled and diced
- 1.5 cup blackberries
- 1/4 tbsp almond extract
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter cut into small pieces
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 375
- Combine peaches and blackberries in a bowl
- Add flour, sugar, cinnamon, almond extract, toss to coat
- Put in a greased 9 x 9 pan
- In a separate bowl combine the topping ingredients
- Mix until it resembles coarse crumbs
- Put topping on top of fruit filling
- Place pan on top of baking sheet in case it cooks over
- Bake for 30 - 35 min
- Cool for 10 min before serving
- Serve with ice cream or Cool Whip
Tips for making Peach Blackberry Crisp
Now, you might wonder, out of all the desserts in the world, why the Peach Blackberry Crisp? It’s simple – the marriage of peach and blackberry is an experience beyond compare. When these two fruits come together, they create a melody of flavors that makes your taste buds dance. The sweetness of the peaches perfectly balances the tangy blackberries, resulting in a dessert that is neither too sweet nor too tart. And when this fruity duo is enveloped in a buttery, crispy crust… well, let’s just say it’s culinary magic.
Cooking Tips for the Perfect Crisp
Even though I won’t be sharing the recipe today, I’ll let you in on some cooking tips to ensure your Peach Blackberry Crisp turns out perfect every time.
- First off, always use ripe, fresh fruits. Not only are they packed with flavor, but they also give the crisp that juicy, gooey consistency we all love.
- Second, don’t forget to add a dash of lemon juice to your fruit mixture. It enhances the flavors of the fruits and prevents them from becoming overly sweet.
- Third, for the crust, make sure your butter is cold. This is what gives the topping its delightful crumbly texture.
- Lastly, do not overbake your crisp. When the top is golden brown and the fruit mixture is bubbling, it’s time to take it out of the oven.
FAQs about Peach Blackberry Crisp
I get a lot of questions about this delectable dessert, so let’s address some common ones:
- Q1: Can I use frozen fruits? Absolutely! If fresh fruits aren’t available, frozen peaches and blackberries work just fine. Just be sure to thaw and drain them properly before using.
- Q2: Can this be made ahead? Yes, you can prepare the fruit mixture and the topping separately, store them in the fridge, and assemble right before baking.
- Q3: Can I use other fruits? Sure, feel free to experiment! Apples, strawberries, raspberries – they all make great substitutes.
Serving Suggestions for Peach Blackberry Crisp
Now, let’s talk about the best part – serving the Peach Blackberry Crisp. Nothing beats enjoying this warm, right out of the oven, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. The cold ice cream melting into the hot crisp… it’s pure bliss. But if you’re looking for something different, a dollop of whipped cream or a drizzle of caramel sauce also does wonders.
In conclusion, Peach Blackberry Crisp is a celebration of summer flavors. It’s simple, it’s delicious, and with these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to make the perfect crisp every time. So, what are you waiting for? Head to your kitchen, and let’s bring some sunshine to your plate!
Remember, the secret to a great dessert isn’t just the ingredients or the recipe; it’s the love and joy you put into making it. So, go ahead, whip up that Peach Blackberry Crisp, and let each bite take you back to those carefree summer days.