Rhubarb Streusel Muffins
Hello??? Is anyone out there yet?? What the hell? I haven’t posted since March 9th! I guess it’s been a little crazy around here…
My son dislocated his clavicle on St. Patrick’s Day which ended up in an ambulance ride and 3 days at Hennepin County Medical Center. Thankfully he will make a full recovery. Then there was prom, Graduation and grad party (my baby, I’m still crying). My daughter decided she wanted to live on the beach and up and moved to Florida. Luckily Brett is still off work with his injury so he drove down there with her and spent the week at her new apartment and flew back the following Sunday, and well I needed a week or two to recover from ALL of that so yea…here we are 🙂
Anyway I know you’re just here for the recipe so I will get to it. It is FINALLY summer here in the great state of Minnesota. Barely, it hasn’t been overly warm by any means, but considering the winter we have had I will take it. The rhubarb is finally big enough to pick and these muffins were at the very top of my list!
I’m not much of a baker, it’s a little too precise for me but every once in a while I like to give it a try. This Rhubarb Streusel Muffin recipe was easy to follow and didn’t have any wild ingredients that I didn’t already have so it was something I could make without going to the store. These muffins are moist and a little tart from the rhubarb and oh so good with my morning coffee with melted butter. Here is the original recipe from Chocolate With Grace: Bakery Style Rhubarb Muffins
I hope you give these a try before August because my grandma always said don’t ever use rhubarb in a month that starts with “A”. I don’t argue with grandma advice ever!
Enjoy the summer while it’s here and I’m hoping it isn’t another 3 months before I post again.
- 3T butter melted
- ¾ c. flour
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3T brown sugar
- 2½ c. diced rhubarb
- 3 c. flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ c. butter softened
- 1 c. sour cream
- ¼ c. milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Melt butter and stir in four, brown sugar and salt until crumbly. Set aside
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
- Sir together 3 T brown sugar and diced rhubarb. Set aside
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Set aside
- Beat together butter, sour cream, milk, eggs and vanilla
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and fold together. Do not over mix. There should still be streaks of flour in the batter.
- Gently stir in the rhubarb
- Divide batter into muffin tins
- Top with streusel topping
- Bake at 400 for 5 minutes, then, without opening the oven reduce heat to 350 and bake another 15 to 20 min. Until a toothpick comes out clean.