Tuna Macaroni Salad is one of my favorite salads from when I was young. I’m sure everyone has a tuna mac salad recipe, but I chose this to be my first post because it reminds me of summer. Ahh…Summer…As I sit here and the temp is hovering just barely above and mostly below zero, it helps me get through these deep dark winter days. I have passed on this love of tuna mac salad to my daughter as well. When I was young my mom always made it with O noodles and Velveeta chunks. I think it was a law. I have varied in my noodle choice and sometimes I use shells because well, they are from the sea like the tuna, so it’s ok. I save the elbow mac for other salads. They have their place in a good mac salad, just not in tuna. But, that’s just my opinion. You are welcome to use whatever noodle you like (or love) to make it taste just the way you want. I have also moved away from the Velveeta and use cheddar chunks now. My daughter prefers it that way so that’s how it goes. Either one is fine by me. I hope you enjoy my simple yet tasty and oh so nostalgic version of tuna mac salad. Ahh…Summer…(The high today should get to 1° above zero (Fahrenheit).
TUNA MACARONI SALAD
- 1 16 oz box shell pasta
- 2 cans tuna
- ¼ c. diced onion
- ¼ c. sliced green olives
- ¼ c. celery
- ½ c. cubed cheddar cheese
- ¾ c. Miracle Whip (more or less to taste)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and let cool.
- Drain tuna from the cans and put into a bowl.
- Chop onions, green olives, and celery add to tuna.
- Add the drained pasta to the bowl.
- Add the Miracle Whip to the bowl and mix well.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.